These hand-picked MacBook alternatives could be best for you if you love the idea of a MacBook, but would rather stick with Windows.
On this page, you’ll find laptops akin to MacBooks. Apple’s MacBook devices are known for their excellent build quality, stunning displays, thin and light design and long battery lives, so it’s no wonder that they are so popular – especially with creatives who are looking for sleek and powerful laptops to work on.
However, they can be cost-prohibitive, and they also run macOS. It’s a fine operating system, but many people much prefer using Windows instead. Also, while Windows laptops come in all shapes and sizes, and are made by various different companies, MacBooks are only made by Apple, and that can mean less choice.
So, we’ve put together this list of the best MacBook alternatives that take some of Apple’s best ideas and give them a unique twist.
If none of these MacBook-like laptops takes your fancy, and you’re keen to stick with Apple, then check out our guides to the best MacBook Pro deals, best cheap MacBook Air deals and top Apple deals to save yourself some major cash.
The best MacBook alternatives
01. Dell XPS 15 7000 15.6-inch
The best MacBook alternative overall
UHD IPS OLED Infinity Laptop – (Silver) Intel Core i7-9750H, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4 GB, Fingerprint Reader, Windows 10 Home
- The world’s smallest HD webcam housed in the top of the display-now top, front and centre
- With a powerful 9th Gen Intel Core processor, with up to 8-cores and 16 threads, the XPS 15 has the power to blaze through your most intensive tasks
- Lightweight but sturdy in an artfully designed machined aluminium and carbon fibre body for maximum durability
- Starting at under 2 KG and a slim 11-17mm, the XPS 15 is comfortable to carry with you on the go at a moment’s notice
- Stay powered longer with amazing battery life for your life on the go.
Amazing speakers beautiful display GTX 1650 Ti GPU isn’t the most powerful
The Dell XPS 15 is in our view the best MacBook alternative ever made. It’s got the power, thanks to some of the most cutting-edge mobile components you can buy right now, and it’s got the looks, with a thin and light design that will make even the biggest Apple fan take notice.
While Apple has dropped the MacBook Pro 15-inch (in favour of the larger 16-inch model), the Dell XPS 15 proves there’s life in the 15-inch form factor yet. It has a screen that is bright and vibrant, an incredibly comfortable keyboard and excellent battery life. It also comes with a dedicated graphics card. While not the most powerful GPU in the world (this isn’t a gaming laptop by any stretch of the imagination), it’s ideal for video editors and 3D animators in particular, and it blows the integrated GPU of the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro 13-inch out of the water.
02. Asus VivoBook S15
The best affordable MacBook alternative
ASUS VivoBook S 15 – S513EA Full HD 15.6” Metal Laptop (Intel Quad-Core i5-1135G7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, Backlit Keyboard, Windows 10) Includes WiFi 6
Bright, colourful 15.6-inch screenWeighs just 1.8kgMerely average battery lifeOnly 1080p resolution
The Asus VivoBook S15 proves that you can have a MacBook alternative that offers a similar level of performance and style to Apple’s finest, but for a much cheaper price tag.
Asus is one of the most respected laptop makers out there, and the VivoBook range shows that the company is able to produce excellent mid-range laptops, as well as expensive high-end devices as well. It’s got a fantastic screen, an excellent keyboard, the ScreenPad touchpad, which enables extra functionality and an ErgoLift hinge that makes typing on the laptop more comfortable, while also improving airflow for a cooler-running laptop. All this, and it’s almost half the price of many MacBooks, making it an ideal alternative if you’re looking to save some money.
03. Surface Laptop 4
An excellent MacBook alternative from Microsoft
Microsoft Surface Laptop 4 Super-Thin 13.5 Inch Touchscreen Laptop (Platinum) – 6x Cores AMD Ryzen 5 with Radeon Graphics (Microsoft Surface Edition) 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Windows 10 Home, 2021 Model
- Power to do what you want with 70 Percent more speed and multitasking power than before and choice of 11th Gen Intel Core processor or exclusive AMD Ryzen Microsoft Surface Edition processor.
- Thin, light, elegant design in a choice of two sizes & starting at 1.26 kg: a light, portable 13.5 Inch or larger 15 Inch that’s perfect for split-screen multitasking.
- Whisper-quiet, with thermal cooling for uninterrupted productivity and optimised performance, Plus, show your best side on video calls with sharp video and image quality, even in low light, thanks to a front-facing 720p HD camera.
- Enjoy cinema-like sound for films and programs with Omnisonic Speakers backed by immersive Dolby Atmos6 and be heard loud and clear on calls with dual far-field Studio Mics that capture your voice and reduce background noise.
- Do your best work on the hi-res PixelSense touchscreen display. Sign important documents with Surface Pen (sold separately) and choose from two keyboard finishes — warm Alcantara or cool metal — and rich colours.
- Improved all-day battery life up to 19 hours, plus [days-long] standby that extends battery life when you’re away and enjoys all-day typing comfort and accuracy with optimised key travel and large trackpad for fast, easy navigation. Keep content safe in the cloud with integrated OneDrive, and access photos, files, videos, and apps across devices.
- Built-in USB-C and USB-A ports, Surface Connect for charging and headphone jack.
Comfortable keyboard beautiful screen Not enough portsAlcantara fabric might get gross over time
Microsoft and Apple’s rivalry is legendary, and it’s not just about software, as Microsoft also makes some fine hardware these days as well. The new Surface Laptop 4 is a great example, combining a sleek and thin design with a stunning screen and premium build quality.
It’s all the things you’d expect from a MacBook, then, and it comes with some nice additions, such as powerful 11th generation processors (or AMD if you’d prefer), and up to 32GB of RAM. It’s also got a touch screen, which is great for digital creatives who want to hand draw their work – and it’s something that the MacBook just doesn’t offer. It’s quite expensive, but with epic 13-hour battery life and excellent performance, this is a worthy alternative to Apple’s best.
04. HP Elite Dragonfly
The best MacBook Pro alternative
HP Elite Dragonfly Multi-Touch 2-in-1 Laptop – 13.3” FHD Touchscreen – 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5-8265U Quad-Core – 256GB SSD – 8GB – Windows 10 pro, Blue Magnesium Body
- Processor Manufacturer: Intel
- Processor Type: Core i5
- Processor Generation: 8th Gen
- Processor Model: i5 8265U
- Processor Speed: 1.60 GHz
- Resolution: 1080P
- Great design comfortable keyboard
- USB-C ports on only one side
If you want a serious rival to the MacBook Pro 13-inch, which offers high performance in a sleek 13-inch body, then the HP Elite Dragonfly G2 is a great choice. This laptop is designed primarily for business use – like the MacBook Pro – and is thin and light enough to carry around with you all day, with long-lasting battery life and a gorgeous 4K screen that exceeds the Retina display of the MacBook Pro.
It also boasts cutting-edge Intel 11th generation processors, bags of RAM and plenty of speedy SSD storage. Even better, it’s a 2-in-1 device, which means not only can you use it as a laptop, you can fold the screen backwards, turning it into a tablet-like device. Unlike MacBooks, it has a touchscreen that works brilliantly with the included stylus. This is a laptop that simply oozes class.
05. Dell New XPS 13
The best MacBook Air alternative
Dell New XPS 13 9310 13.3 Inch Laptop, Intel Core i7-1185G7 Processor (4.8 GHz), 16:10 FHD+ (1920 × 1200) InfinityEdge 500 Nit Display, 16 GB RAM, 512 GB NVMe SSD, Fingerprint Reader, Windows 10 Home
- Enjoy high performance and long battery life with the intel core i7-1185g7 processor – up to 4.80 ghz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 12 mb intel smart cache.
- Advanced thermal design: everything about how we engineer and design the system, from dual fans separated and dual heat pipes to hidden exhaust venting through the hinge ensures you have the best performing system in the thinnest form factor possible. Hidden exhaust vents in the hinge also help with airflow and a slight ramp aids in lifting more heat out.
- Faster time to productivity: a built-in sensor allows you to open the lid and power up in milliseconds, no matter what power-state you are in. plus, with windows, hello and a fingerprint reader built into the power button you can log in with just a touch. or use the infrared camera with facial recognition to log in with just a look.
- Killer ax1650 built on intel wifi 6 chipset: featuring advanced wi-fi 6 technology, the killer ax1650 is nearly 3 times as fast as the previous generation of 80mhz 2×2 ac products. the killer 1650 automatically detects, classifies, and prioritizes streaming video, communication, and game traffic in your system for fast, smooth online experiences.
- Long battery life: targeting up to 19 hours of battery life, the xps 13 can take you through your day without the need for a charge
- Display size: 13.4 inches
The MacBook Air is a thin and light 13-inch laptop that’s as stylish as it is a great performer, and that’s why the Dell XPS 13 is in our view an excellent alternative. Like the MacBook Air, it’s sleek and stylish, with an excellent 13-inch screen. It’s actually more compact than the Air, thanks to a thinner design and slimmer bezels around the screen, which makes it even more portable.
The latest model comes with 11th generation Intel processors and up to 32GB RAM, so it easily competes with the MacBook Air, and in some cases surpasses it, and its battery life is also now better than ever. It’s expensive, with some models far outpacing the MacBook Air, but if you want a brilliant thin and light 13-inch laptop, and the MacBook Air doesn’t do it for you, then get the Dell XPS 13.